NOW-NYS Decries Reproductive Rights Omission from W.E.A.; It's Our Body, It's Our Choice!
On June 22, the NYS Senate passed only nine of Governor Cuomo's ten-point Women's Equality Act. This followed passage of all ten points by the NYS Assembly. The point omitted by the Senate was the Reproductive Rights plank, which would have codified the protections of the US Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision(now under constant assault by religious conservatives) for all New York women. National Organization for Women – New York State President Zenaida Mendez was "appalled by the omission. It's our body; it's our choice!" she said. Read the rest of the news release.
Like NY Women's Equality on Facebook.
The 10 points of the Womens Eqaulity Act are:
1. Protect a woman's freedom of choice by enacting the Reproductive
2. Achieve pay equity
3. Stop sexual harassment in all workplaces
4. Allow for recovery of attorneys' fees in employment and credit and
5. Strengthen human trafficking laws
6. End family status discrimination
7. Stop source-of-income discrimination
8. Stop housing discrimination for victims of domestic violence
9. Stop pregnancy discrimination once and for all
10. Protect victims of domestic violence by strengthening order-of0
Read more about the Women's Equality Agenda.
NOW-NYS President Is Arrested
Zenaida Mendez President of the National Organization for Women-NYS, was arrested in the state capital on JUne 18, 2013,for demanding that the Women's Equality Act be brought to the floor for a vote.
NOW - NYS President and Ohter Women Leaders Rally for
Women's Equality Act
Read the Albany Times Union article NOW Wants Ideas to Become Bills